Karen, over at the Rocking Pony, has tagged me with a FUN meme, to share seven facts about myself that you may not already know! Her answers are tons of fun, but I'm unsure how much I can tell y'all that you don't already know. Here goes!
1. Eating sounds are the grossest thing on the planet. Seriously? The sound of anyone eating with their mouth open, slurping, chewing loudly, smacking - I just want to haul off and whop 'em in the head. Disgusting. Makes my skin crawl. GO AWAY AND EAT. SOMEWHERE. ELSE. This was brought home to me recently by a guy named Mike who briefly mentioned it in his blog, and by Mir, who mentioned HIS blog in HER blog. Whew!
2. I hate craft work. For some reason, people who meet or know me think that I'm very craft-y, that I do all kind of fun artsy things. No! I hate crafts! I mean, they're cute and all, but not for me. Ew. Crafts aren't practical. I sew, yes, but that is not a craft. It is a talent, a skill, a form of art. And I make practical things, like clothing. I do not make quilts or wall hangings or anything else which people cannot wear or use in everyday life. Yes, I am a sewing snob. And I'm okay with that.
3. That said, I smock. I didn't make this particular dress, but it's an example of the type of thing I do. Yes, smocking seems very impractical. It's frilly and pretty. But it's WEARABLE. Do I get worked up about this? You bet! Do I have a good reason to? No! And I have lots of rules for my smocking. I never make things that can't be worn. I use only cotton or silk fabric (and I prefer cotton batiste). Buttons are shell or glass, never plastic. I only use cotton lace, never polyester! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE tatting as a trim! Oh! And this year I learned to make my own tatting!
4. I'm a pack rat. Big time. My sweet hunny has broken me of some of my tendencies, but I tend to hoard. Little things, like notes written by anonymous college friends over 20 years ago, pressed 4 leaf clovers, stuffed animals my children no longer love and play with. I save things. I just know that one day I'll either need them, or they'll always remind me of something or someone special. The rule for me is that, every six months or so I'll go through my stuff and if I don't remember who gave me the something special, into the trash it goes.
5. I have a very juvenile sense of humor. Weird Al. Emo Phillips. Dr. Demento. Every morning I start my day with my comic strips, and end the day with a different set of comics. I love knock knock jokes, frog in a blender jokes, any type of third grade humor.
6. I grew up south of New Orleans. What's that you say? There's nothing south of New Orleans? Well, not anymore. Here are pictures of my home town up a few days after Katrina demolished it. There was one road in and out of town, water on either side of us (The Gulf of Mexico on one side and the Mississippi River on the other), and not a lot to do. No mall. The movie theater had one screen. There was a Pizza Inn and a Dollar Store. But the food was always good.
7. Here's one I'm always reluctant to tell people, and if I hadn't run out of interesting things about myself, I probably wouldn't say it here and now: I graduated from Oral Roberts University with a degree in Elementary Education. There. I said it. The campus looks like something from an old B sci-fi movie. The reputation is bizarre. But the professors were the best, and the student body rocked. I hated and loved my time there. I learned an awful lot about people, about what's important, about what isn't. I left behind a lot of what I believed as a result of that experience. I like to think of it as streamlining my faith. And here I am, living in Tulsa after all these years. And loving it.
Some of the people I'd love to see respond to this meme are:
Lisa at Confessions of a Karate Mom. I don't know nearly enough about her, and I suspect there are things there I probably don't want to know. :) But I trust her to answer well.
Keri at Stripey Cat Productions. I've jsut found her and she seems like fun.
Daisy at Compost Happens. Bunnies and coffee. A woman after my own heart.
Jan at Bold & Free. I LOVE the name of her blog! That's what I want to be!!!
Kidzmama at Not a Spare Minute, because her humor is to die for. If she has a spare minute for a meme.
My daughter, Mae, at UberMae, because how on earth does one get to know their 14 year old daugher? Through a meme, of course!
Last, but certainly not least, I'm tagging Myra at Listen to My Heart. She's a new find for me and she seems to need a fun meme right about now. :)
So! Here are the rules! Have fun!
Link to the person who tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
Share 7 facts about yourself.
Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.